Jonathan Howe told me I was opening a can of worms by conducting this Twitter poll.
He was right.
Still, I wanted to hear from churchgoers what their favorite and least favorite instruments are. Some of the responses were anticipated. Many were not.
1. Piano – Piano is not only a favorite; it is one of the few instruments that did not also get mentioned as a least favorite.
2. Acoustic Guitar – This instrument was a clear second preference.
3. Organ – This instrument was also the No. 1 least favorite. There seemed to be a clear generational divide here.
4. Violin – The violin and the organ were only one vote apart.
5. Cello – This choice surprised me. Maybe it should not have surprised me.
1. Organ – Wow. There were very strong negative sentiments here. One person wrote, "I will ask God for permission to haunt my wife if she allows an organ at my funeral."
2. Tambourine – I was surprised at the negative sentiment here. Apparently, many churchgoers believe this instrument to be the choice of those not musically inclined.
3. Drums – Again, there was mostly negative sentiment here, but the reasons for the negativity varied.
4. Handbells – Handbells did not get one positive vote.
5. Banjo – I can't remember the last time I heard a banjo in a worship service. Maybe there's a reason for that.
I was also fascinated to see the "one-vote wonders," those instruments noted by only one person.
One vote wonders, favorite: Hammer dulcimer, mandolin and ukulele.
One vote wonders, least favorite: Oboe, jazz flute, whistle, kazoo, harmonica, recorder, tuba, shofar, cowbell, accordion, chimes and saxophone.
I will bet this discussion will be fun. Let me hear from you.
Thom Rainer is the president of LifeWay Christian Resources. For the original article, visit thomrainer.com.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Help Charisma stay strong for years to come as we report on life in the Spirit. Become an integral part of Charisma’s work by joining Charisma Media Partners. Click here to keep us strong!
Dr. Mark Rutland's
National Institute of Christian Leadership (NICL)
The NICL is one of the top leadership training programs in the U.S. taught by Dr. Mark Rutland. If you're the type of leader that likes to have total control over every aspect of your ministry and your future success, the NICL is right for you!
FREE NICL MINI-COURSE - Enroll for 3-hours of training from Dr. Rutland's full leadership course. Experience the NICL and decide if this training is right for you and your team.Do you feel stuck? Do you feel like you’re not growing? Do you need help from an expert in leadership? There is no other leadership training like the NICL. Gain the leadership skills and confidence you need to lead your church, business or ministry. Get ready to accomplish all of your God-given dreams. CLICK HERE for NICL training dates and details.
The NICL Online is an option for any leader with time or schedule constraints. It's also for leaders who want to expedite their training to receive advanced standing for Master Level credit hours. Work through Dr. Rutland's full training from the comfort of your home or ministry at your pace. Learn more about NICL Online. Learn more about NICL Online.