Wedding season is upon us again.
It's a great time of life, but it comes with many financial challenges. Some thoughts:
- Marriage is the world's best antipoverty program. Two really can live better, if not cheaper, than one.
- Don't skip the marriage vow. It honors God, honors your spouse, cements your commitment, saves you taxes and makes you eligible for your spouse's medical and other benefits.
- You will make over $1,000,000 each during your lifetime. If you start saving 10% now, you can earn enough to retire with the same income in about 40 years.
- Home ownership will provide you with about half of your minimum retirement needs. Start now, when interest rates are at historical lows.
- Learn to live beneath your means. It's no good to have an expensive sports car if you can't afford the gasoline.
- Don't miss a blessing by waiting to have children until you can afford it. You never will afford them, but somehow people find a way to get by anyway.
- You can safely use debt for affordable cars and houses. That's because, even with the debt, you're better off with a car and a home.
- Avoid consumer credit. Use a debit card instead and save the interest, or just pay cash.
- You are in a race to build your life, not repay your debt. Our role model, Abe Lincoln, got married, had children and bought a home while he was still in debt.
- Financial problems end many marriages. You can get new things easier then you can get a new family, so stay united and forgive each other when you make mistakes.
- After you have children, one of you should consider finding work you can do at home. You can have the same net income with lower gross income because of the savings you'll receive in taxes, child care, gasoline, eating out and clothes.
- Life is uncertain. Have a will and get $500,000 of cheap term life insurance if you want to be fondly remembered.
- Yes, you should have health insurance with maternity coverage. Get the highest deductible you can afford to pay out of pocket to minimize your costs.
- Try to live on a budget, but leave a little room for frivolity. If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right.
God made us male and female because He is in favor of romance. Don't let financial fears steal the greatest blessings in life.
Ron Allen is a Christian businessman, CPA and author who serves in local, national and international ministries, spreading a message of reconciliation to God, to men and between believers. He is founder of the International Star Bible Society, telling how the heavens declare the glory of God; the Emancipation Network, which helps people escape from financial bondage; and co-founder with his wife, Pat, of Corporate Prayer Resources, dedicated to helping intercessors.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Dr. Mark Rutland's
National Institute of Christian Leadership (NICL)
The NICL is one of the top leadership training programs in the U.S. taught by Dr. Mark Rutland. If you're the type of leader that likes to have total control over every aspect of your ministry and your future success, the NICL is right for you!
FREE NICL MINI-COURSE - Enroll for 3-hours of training from Dr. Rutland's full leadership course. Experience the NICL and decide if this training is right for you and your team.Do you feel stuck? Do you feel like you’re not growing? Do you need help from an expert in leadership? There is no other leadership training like the NICL. Gain the leadership skills and confidence you need to lead your church, business or ministry. Get ready to accomplish all of your God-given dreams. CLICK HERE for NICL training dates and details.
The NICL Online is an option for any leader with time or schedule constraints. It's also for leaders who want to expedite their training to receive advanced standing for Master Level credit hours. Work through Dr. Rutland's full training from the comfort of your home or ministry at your pace. Learn more about NICL Online. Learn more about NICL Online.