Tax time is only a month away. For many it is a fearful experience, especially if there is an unexpected tax bite.
We believe you should "Render unto Caesar" that which is his (Matt. 22:21), but no more. Nor should we be destroyed form lack of knowledge (Hos. 4:6) when it comes to taxes. With a little knowledge and a little faith, fear will evaporate.
Here are some fearless facts for you to consider:
1. File your returns on time, even if you owe money. The IRS will let you pay your taxes over as much as six years, and you will save the 25 percent late filing penalty. Attach Form 9465, Installment Agreement Request, if you need a payout.
2. Remember that you can extend the due date of your return until Oct. 15 if you need more time to file. Be sure to file the extension request Form 4868 before this year's due date of April 18.
3. Do not be afraid to take deductions you are entitled to. For example, people with large medical costs, who own their homes and/or who make significant charitable gifts can often save taxes by itemizing their deductions.
4. Similarly, if you are self-employed, do not overlook your business mileage. You can write off 54 cents per mile. This will reduce both the income tax and the 15.3 percent self-employment tax.
5. You can make IRA payments in 2017 up to the due date of your 2016 tax return and reduce your 2016 taxes. IRA limits are now $5,500 per year.
6. Those who received a subsidy for their health insurance will be required to recalculate the subsidy based on actual 2016 income. You will receive Forms 1095-A from insurance carries and you must file Form 8962, Premium Tax Credit. You may owe extra tax, or you may get a refund, but whatever the outcome, it will be better than what the IRS will do to you if you do not file.
7. Remember that forgiveness of debt is not taxable if your net worth excluding your home is less than zero after the debt forgiveness. File Form 982.
8. You can always hire a tax professional if you do not know what to do about your taxes. Wise people take advice (Prov. 13:10).
This year, let faith rule over fear and gain the knowledge you need to master the tax demon in your life.
Ron Allen is a Christian businessman, CPA and author who serves in local, national and international ministries spreading a message of reconciliation to God, to men and between believers. He is founder of the International Star Bible Society, telling how the heavens declare the glory of God, and the Emancipation Network, which helps people escape from financial bondage, and co-founder with his wife Pat of Corporate Prayer Resources, dedicated to helping intercessors.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Help Charisma stay strong for years to come as we report on life in the Spirit. Become an integral part of Charisma’s work by joining Charisma Media Partners. Click here to keep us strong!
Dr. Mark Rutland's
National Institute of Christian Leadership (NICL)
The NICL is one of the top leadership training programs in the U.S. taught by Dr. Mark Rutland. If you're the type of leader that likes to have total control over every aspect of your ministry and your future success, the NICL is right for you!
FREE NICL MINI-COURSE - Enroll for 3-hours of training from Dr. Rutland's full leadership course. Experience the NICL and decide if this training is right for you and your team.Do you feel stuck? Do you feel like you’re not growing? Do you need help from an expert in leadership? There is no other leadership training like the NICL. Gain the leadership skills and confidence you need to lead your church, business or ministry. Get ready to accomplish all of your God-given dreams. CLICK HERE for NICL training dates and details.
The NICL Online is an option for any leader with time or schedule constraints. It's also for leaders who want to expedite their training to receive advanced standing for Master Level credit hours. Work through Dr. Rutland's full training from the comfort of your home or ministry at your pace. Learn more about NICL Online. Learn more about NICL Online.