I'm in a bit of a rut right now.
I hope it's a good rut though.
Every day I read my Bible. It is really rare for me to miss a day.
Almost every day I am reading a book. Some of the books are print publications. But I love the Audible format as well. The latter is especially good for my long commutes to work. I am currently reading (and listening to) The Inevitable by Kevin Kelly.
But, in the course of a week, I inevitably turn to other resources. There are seven resources that I will likely read at least once a week with few exceptions. These secular resources help me to understand the culture and world in which we live. I pray they are being used to make me a more effective gospel witness.
1. Harvard Business Review. I am like a kid at Christmas when my monthly HBR arrives. Its articles on business, leadership and culture are unsurpassed by most other secular resources.
2. Wall Street Journal. This venerable newspaper is a source for both business and news. I have started using Audible to stay caught up on the WSJ.
3. Real Clear Politics. This site is my favorite aggregator for political articles. I appreciate its aggregation of polls as well.
4. Five Thirty Eight. This site is another good political source. It includes good news articles as well.
5. Huffington Post. As a conservative, I enjoy reading liberal perspectives on news and politics. This blog is the best in that genre.
6. Fast Company. I began reading this magazine years ago. Fast Company is a business magazine with a focus and emphasis on technology.
7. Seth's Blog. This blog by Seth Godin is a quick daily read. He offers pithy nuggets of news, strategy and wisdom. His focus is on marketing ideas in a digital age.
No reading can replace the Bible. But I do appreciate the works of many secular publications that help me better discern the times in which we live.
Let me hear from you. What resources would you add to my list?
Thom S. Rainer is the president of LifeWay Christian Resources. For the original article, visit thomrainer.com.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Dr. Steve Greene is now sharing stories, teachings, and conversations with guests who lead with love on Love Leads, a new podcast. Listen now.
Dr. Mark Rutland's
National Institute of Christian Leadership (NICL)
The NICL is one of the top leadership training programs in the U.S. taught by Dr. Mark Rutland. If you're the type of leader that likes to have total control over every aspect of your ministry and your future success, the NICL is right for you!
FREE NICL MINI-COURSE - Enroll for 3-hours of training from Dr. Rutland's full leadership course. Experience the NICL and decide if this training is right for you and your team.Do you feel stuck? Do you feel like you’re not growing? Do you need help from an expert in leadership? There is no other leadership training like the NICL. Gain the leadership skills and confidence you need to lead your church, business or ministry. Get ready to accomplish all of your God-given dreams. CLICK HERE for NICL training dates and details.
The NICL Online is an option for any leader with time or schedule constraints. It's also for leaders who want to expedite their training to receive advanced standing for Master Level credit hours. Work through Dr. Rutland's full training from the comfort of your home or ministry at your pace. Learn more about NICL Online. Learn more about NICL Online.