In the last two months, I have transitioned from one fast-paced organization to another. It's been fast, busy and a ton of fun.
The only thing constant about life is change and transition. Every day we take one step closer to something new and one step away from something old.
Recently, I paused to reflect on what I am learning during this time of change. Here are five constants to keep in mind during a season of transition.
- History – Every new place you are going to has a history. You should take the time to understand its history and honor the work others have done. As I transitioned into my new role, a good friend was transitioning out. Jonathan Howe did an incredible job helping Church Answers get to where it stands today. I am thankful for his hard work in the past, which has given me a new opportunity today.
- People – By saying "yes" to something new you are saying "no" to something else. We all need to keep in mind that nothing is ever "just business." People are impacted at many levels during seasons of transition. I remember several years ago when I transferred departments at LifeWay. It was hard because I left one of my best friends and mentors to explore a new opportunity. Remember that your decisions always impact people on a personal level.
- Harmony – I don't believe in life balance. It's never achievable. I believe in the pursuit of harmony. Jeff Bezos introduced me to this concept recently. You can see his article HERE. My wife knows that my increased workload during times of transition is only for a season. Clear communication and keeping my commitments are very important in making this season easier for everyone involved.
- Hustle – Extra work is going to be involved. It's just a reality. Two tools that have helped me keep in line with the fast pace are (1) Asana for task management and (2) Google Calendar for blocking chunks of time including time for focus work and downtime.
- Integrity – Your integrity is a reflection of your character. The best way to ensure integrity during transition is, to be honest, gracious and consistent communication. Although Church Answers is headquartered in Franklin, Tennessee, our family is committed to living in Lexington, Kentucky, in this season, and I will continue to serve part-time at Immanuel Baptist Church. I need to communicate clearly to the church guests and members that I am not leaving and there isn't anything wrong.
I hope my observations during my transition are helpful to you. Who knows? Maybe we will cross paths soon!
I am extremely grateful for the chance to work at Church Answers. The possibilities to serve the church and advance the kingdom for the gospel are endless.
Kevin Spratt is the vice president of Church Answers.
For the original article, visit thomrainer.com.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Help Charisma stay strong for years to come as we report on life in the Spirit. Become an integral part of Charisma’s work by joining Charisma Media Partners. Click here to keep us strong!
Dr. Mark Rutland's
National Institute of Christian Leadership (NICL)
The NICL is one of the top leadership training programs in the U.S. taught by Dr. Mark Rutland. If you're the type of leader that likes to have total control over every aspect of your ministry and your future success, the NICL is right for you!
FREE NICL MINI-COURSE - Enroll for 3-hours of training from Dr. Rutland's full leadership course. Experience the NICL and decide if this training is right for you and your team.Do you feel stuck? Do you feel like you’re not growing? Do you need help from an expert in leadership? There is no other leadership training like the NICL. Gain the leadership skills and confidence you need to lead your church, business or ministry. Get ready to accomplish all of your God-given dreams. CLICK HERE for NICL training dates and details.
The NICL Online is an option for any leader with time or schedule constraints. It's also for leaders who want to expedite their training to receive advanced standing for Master Level credit hours. Work through Dr. Rutland's full training from the comfort of your home or ministry at your pace. Learn more about NICL Online. Learn more about NICL Online.